Sunday, August 21, 2011

This is why we play travel ball

By Marie Walker

It has been said that travel ball for young kids is ridiculous, that participating in such a thing is stealing away their youth.  It has been said that it puts too much pressure on kids and that all travel ball is, is simply parents desperately clinging onto a memory from their youth and living vicariously through their children.  Finally, it has been said that the coaches are not in it for the kids at all but are only coaching for self glorification and gratification.

I am here to say that if this is what you have heard or if this is what you have said, then you are WRONG!  Very wrong!

I have personally experienced something remarkable over the past few months that will put any travel ball myth to shame.  I have seen individual boys with some talent become a TEAM with extraordinary skill and drive.  I have seen boys that are capable of turning double and triple plays with all the seriousness of the Major League still play in the dirt and become captivated by helicopters flying overhead.  I have seen boys tune out the screams from the stands and the taunting from the opposing dug out and fixate on the calls from their coaches and then look to each other for reassurance.  I have experienced families, coaches, and parents spend countless hours at practice, games, and tournaments and I have watched them drive hundreds of miles, sacrifice time and money, and stand up and stand in for one another all for the love of their boys.

Lastly, I have seen the passion of the coaches, with only absolute love for their team, teach them, guide them, correct them, and build them up to be strong, confident, and respectable young men.  I have seen the coaches make so many sacrifices not for their own glory but for the glory of the team.

I have seen passion, determination, and true grit from the field and I have seen a random group of boys become brothers.  And that is why we play travel ball!

Let the memories continue...and play on...

No comments:

Post a Comment